United Concordia Dental – 2017 Dental Solutions Report - 8
The Power of Preventive
Backed by research
for a Stronger Workforce
United Concordia's latest
research5 looks at the value
of going to the dentist for
preventive care, which includes:
When employees take action for their oral health and use their benefits for preventive
dental care, companies get more from their dental insurance investment.
The Oral Health Impact by the numbers
79% of emergency
work hours are missed
each year because of
visits could potentially be
diverted to a dental office.2
of adults have
some level of
gum disease 3
"just a cleaning"
Routine dental exams can
help identify and address
problems before they
require costly treatment
or time out of work.
In fact, 90% of systemic
diseases can be
the mouth.4 A dental
exam can include:
In order to realize the full potential of preventive
dental care, employers need a strategy:
Members who received
preventive dental care
OFFER the right dental plan(s).
* With United Concordia, all traditional
plans cover preventive services at 100%.
EDUCATE on the value of good oral
health & how to achieve it.
had lower total
medical costs than
those who saw the dentist less
frequently (once in 3 years or not at all).
This may also indicate:
ENGAGE staff through live events and
Review of past
Making it work at the workplace
INCENTIVIZE preventive dental care
as part of a wellness rewards program.
quality of life
TRACK use to measure results over time.
The United Concordia Dental Advantage -employers get access to expert resources
for incorporating dental into their existing wellness programs:
Oral Wellness Consultants * Specialized Plans * Educational Content * Online Tools
Important Disclosures: UnitedConcordia.com/Disclaimers
1. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Oral Health in America: A Report of the Surgeon General. May 2000.
2. Wall T, Nasseh K, Vujicic M. Majority of dental-related emergency department visits lack urgency and can be diverted to dental offices.
Health Policy Institute Research Brief. American Dental Association. August 2014.
3. Times Health Guide. Periodontitis: Risk factors. The New York Times. March 2013.
4. Know Your Teeth. Prevent Oral Health Problems: Visit Dentist Twice a Year. Academy of General Dentistry. January 2012.
-----September 2017. UnitedConcordia.com/Research
5. Value of Going to the Dentist. United Concordia Dental internal -